It’s the New Year and many of us are making resolutions that we vow to keep for the foreseeable future. There are plenty of resolutions I can talk about for beauty, health and fitness purposes, but for this blog I will just stick to my top 6 that I would recommend to anyone who wants a kick start to a healthy and more beautiful 2015!
The following health & beauty habits will help to keep you fit and looking beautiful inside and out, as well as providing you with the energy to see each and every day through to capacity.
1. Stick to a skin care routine – Our skin takes a bit of a battering during the winter. The cold weather conditions are harsh on our skin and the central heating dehydrates it, leaving it dry, dull looking and prone to wrinkles. Whether you want to treat yourself to a regular facial, as a minimum ideally you will vow to stick to a full cleanse, tone and moisturise each evening and exfoliate 1-2 times per week. Sticking to a regular skincare routine this year is a must, by the end of the year you will be glad you did!
2. Wear SPF daily – The sun and UVA rays are responsible for damage and ageing of the skin. Even in the winter months a sunny day can cause havoc to your skin. Vow to wear SPF every day of the year to slow down the ageing process. If you are concerned of lathering too many lotions on your skin then at least make sure your moisturiser contains a minimum SPF 15 in the winter months.
3. Clean up and replace your makeup bag and tools – Do you know the shelf-life of your cosmetic products? Most of them have a 3-12 month shelf-life and you can usually find this out by looking on the packaging. I am pretty confident to say I bet many of you have products that are way over their use by date? These products are the perfect breeding place for bacteria, which can lead to skin irritations, infections and all sorts of nasty’s! Not only your products, but your tools need to be cleaned regularly too, due to the build-up of grime and bacteria. New Year is a perfect time to have a clear out of your old products and vow to wash your tools in warm soapy water once a fortnight.
4. Drink more water – I know we are always drumming on about drinking more water, but it is paramount to your overall health and energy levels. By weight, approximately 65% of the average adult is made up of water so you need to ensure you drink enough to replenish any lost and keep you hydrated. Every time someone offers you a glass of water, take it! Drink more water to hydrate your skin and body, it will also give your complexion a healthy glow.
5. Control Your Portion Sizes – I could talk a lot about portion sizes and at Beautination we talk in-depth about this with our fitness customers. However, a quick tip if you want to lose weight is to downsize your dinner plates and bowls. Studies show by using smaller plates we dish up less and thereby consume less calories. Also, serve your meal at the stove and not at the table, as this prevents us from going back for second helpings.
6. Get outside and be active – I know it’s cold outside and many of us would prefer to stay indoors in the warm with the central heating on, but this can make us feel sluggish and demotivated. It is recommended adults should aim to be active for 30 minutes a day. Not only is this good for your overall health and energy levels, but it will lift your spirits and boost your feel good endorphins. A brisk walk in the fresh air is enough to blow the cobwebs away and put a spring back into your step. What’s more, anything that promotes blood circulation also helps to keep your skin healthy and vibrant. Increasing blood flow helps to nourish your skin cells.
Take a vow to take on these health & beauty habits for 2015, you will thank us for it in the long term!
Happy New Year!